The holidays are just around the corner, and there are many ways that you can give back in the Ithaca community. Check out a few opportunities down below.
United Way of Tompkins County – assists community members to meet their basic needs while focusing on several foundations for a good life: education, financial stability and health.
- Christmas Carol Stock Fund
- Collaboration with the Hangar Theatre Company, inspired by the message of Hangar’s performance of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.
- Attend a performance of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, or click here to donate through December 30.
- All funds raised are used to purchase pairs of socks that go to local school children.
Loaves & Fishes – a Christian ministry that provides individuals with meals, hospitality, companionship and advocacy for those in need, regardless of their faith, beliefs, or circumstances.
- Ithaca Alternative Gift Fair (December 1, 2018 from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Donate the cost of one, two, three or more weeks of food for one Loaves & Fishes guest
- Contribute to the Emergency Fund which it uses to purchase prescriptions, warm winter clothing and other necessities for guests at the Alternative Gift Fair.
The Salvation Army of Ithaca – Operates more than 7,000 centers in communities all around the United States. These communities help with food distribution, disaster relief, rehabilitation centers, anti-human trafficking efforts, and a variety of children’s programs.
- Holiday Giving Catalog
- Purchase a symbolic gift to help your local Salvation army
- Fill a kettle, adopt an angel, purchase a coat or blanket, and much more
Food Bank of Southern Tier – nonprofit that helps combat hunger by providing those with food and nourishment
- Selfless Elf 5K Run/Walk (December 1, 2018 at 3 p.m.)
- Run or walk to help end hunger in the Village of Horseheads
- For everyday runners, serious runners and walkers alike.
- Family friendly event
Featured Image Courtesy of Wiki Commons